Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Baby Sister is Sixteen Today.

I was seventeen years old when you were born.  
When mom and dad told me that I was going to have another sister, 
all I could think about was how gross it was that my parents still did "that".
Now, being a parent myself, all I can think is how insane they must have been.
Who starts all over at their age.
They had three daughters already: an almost twenty year old, a seventeen year old, and a twelve year old.  And on February 15th, 1999 they added one more to the mix.
Nuts I tell ya.

But, you were supposed to be here.
Such a beautiful baby.
Such a joy.
I used to rush home from work, because it was torturous to be apart from you.
Playing, holding, loving you was the highlight of my day.
And, as much as I complained,
I secretly enjoyed it when people in public places thought that I was your mom.
I adored you (and still do).
you may be a little strange...
...but you are an amazing sister....
 ...an amazing friend...
...and an amazing aunt to my babies.
 I can't believe that you are sixteen years old today.
 Those years went by incredibly fast.
You have turned into a beautiful person.
...a beautiful soul.
I love you baby sis.

My words of wisdom to you:

Life can be hard sometimes… but it can also be incredibly beautiful.  Make good choices, strive to be a good person, but also remember that you will make mistakes.  Learn from your fuckups…they too play a part in who you are.  Never stop learning.  There is so much knowledge out there…seek it…grow from it.  But also, know when to admit that you are wrong.   Don’t let pride/arrogance/vanity get in your way.  Rise above.  Be true…be brave… be kind…be genuine….and always remember…karma is a bitch.  xoxo

Have a wonderful birthday.
xoxo

p.s.  I am only a phone call away if you need me, but in the meantime, try to make good decisions and don't fuck up too much. xoxo

(also...be nice to your parents.)

I love your guts!

No comments:

Post a Comment